Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Copycat




Trawling through the realms of the huge auction site that is known as 'eBay', I stumbled across these toppers. Hmmm I thought, they look just like some I made and sold on eBay a while ago. I stopped to ponder. I have had it very kindly pointed out to me that if an item is changed by just 10% then it is no longer a copy. I pondered some more. I understand that there is only so much that you can do to alter a die cut shape but when all a person's listings 'bear' (groan) more than a passing resemblance, is that more than a coincidence? Perhaps I am being paranoid but even the wording in her listings is identical - a copy and paste job, perhaps? (except she has left out the bit about being a 'BOB' lol). Here are mine to compare. They may also be found in the archives of my blog.


I really do try hard not to get upset. imitation is after all supposed the be the highest form of flattery. It is just frustrating. I am used to the odd item that I sell on eBay being emulated but when everything that a seller has for sale is an emulation of something that I have created, it leaves a bitter taste. Particularly when the seller is a member of the forum that I like to frequent.

4 comments:

Jane said...

grrrrrrowwwwllll ! this makes me sooo mad. copying! drives you mad doesn't it !! big hugs Jo.

Anonymous said...

I think the changing 10% thing might be an urban myth Jo, try here for more info www.acid.uk.com

Debbie @ The Shabby Bungalow said...

Jo - what a shame - I know it's flattery but even so :-( Makes you a bit nervous of putting new design toppers on Ebay - but keep going as you are so talented - good luck :-)

Lythan said...

I don't have a problem with copying an idea unless it is done overtly for commercial gain as in this case. In which case it makes me HOPPING mad!
Your designs are lovely Jo